Monday, July 1, 2013

Mind over matter



Over the past five days, I've had 44 oz of raw vegetable juice, and about 450 oz of water. And nothing else. And I feel fucking amazing! The human mind is a fascinating piece of machinery when you control it instead of letting it control you.

For whatever reason, my energy is through the effing roof. I'm semi-maniacal. My trainer suggests I am most likely in ketosis, where all the glycogen stores in my muscles have been expended, and the brain is now feeding off ketones produced by the processes responsible for burning fat into energy. It rocks.

As usual, the first three days sucked pretty hard. But I still pressed though my workouts, and work was a busy atmosphere, full of distraction. So that was phenomenally helpful.

But today was the best so far! I just about bounced, Tigger-style, into my trainer's gym and soared through the paces. Then I drove back to my home gym and cranked out another 20-minute Tabata cycle on the elliptical. I got home, cooled off a bit, but my heart was still racing! It was like a frantic nervous energy was pulsing through my veins, so I strapped on my running shoes and ran every bit of 3 miles! Each drop of sweat felt like fat melting away and oozing out of my pores.

No doubt I've experienced ketosis before, but I never recall it having felt like this, and I'm a little nervous about how long this euphoria will last. Or if I'm actually losing all the fat that I think I am. My body's so fucked up after so many years of abuse -- who knows. But I'm hoping to ride this out for a while if I can. Feels so good, weight loss would just be icing. Pun, deliciously intended. ;)

Starve on.

12 comments:

River said...

So happy to see that you're back:)

Africana said...

This post is just what I needed today!! I am struggling but I know that if I can endure these first few days of liquid only then I too will feel amazing! I cannot express with words how good it is to read your posts again. Be good to yourself sister.

Starve on!

Ana333 said...

Hey lovely!!!! This sounds so amazing. ... you're in, a weight-loss high... the more you'll loose,the better you shall feel... the amazing thing is, is that there shall be no crash if you keep it up, so we all will be here to support you. It's that most amazong feeling also, when I got an update email from the blog stating that you posted, I almodt fell off my seat!!!!!! So happy you ate bad honey, really truly, honestly am :) Starve on and beautify the cameras ;) luv ya,

Ana2

Honor Regzig said...

Pure vegetable juice? Yea, likely ketosis. Constant ketosis is known to produce that high energy. Got a brother who does triathelons & a coworker who is also an Emergency Medical Tech and they're both pro-juicing. They say that juicing takes out the fiber but leaves everything else, so it's like liquid vitamins. They'd also stay as far away from fruit juices as possible because fruit has more sugar.
Tho they would suggest adding a protein powder. EMT-boy needs over 100g of protein daily so without his protein powder he'd probably lose his muscle. He's like 5'2 and has to lift 600lbs patients sometimes.
When I first tried protein shakes I noticed that other people were less likely to question my odd eating habits. It's like they assumed protein powder = health freak = weird but ok eating habits. Plus, I really wasn't hungry as often so there was no tummy growling when I said wasn't hungry. Win win!

Amelia said...

It's so lovely to see you back on here. I've loved your blog for years! Starve on, lovely!

Lucy's Shadow said...

you are always so inspiring!
thanks for it, and please, do keep posting!

Jaynee Rogers said...

Please DON'T stop writing!! I love this and your blog. Please don't stop writing ever!!!

Elizabeth Bennet said...

I can't wait to hear how you are doing! Did you're mood stay the same? Are you still so energetic? Congrats on the ketosis. Your trainer is great. I'd love to be told not to eat for 2 weeks!

Anonymous said...

something's up with your url... it keep redirecting to a weird webring site and you have to reload the page like three times to get to your blog... Not sure if you can fix it, but thought you should know

Anonymous said...

So pleased that you are posting again - your blog is great and I really admire your determination, but I hope you are staying healthy cos we don't wanna lose you!

SugarAndCyanide said...

Oh, and they say that the first week is the worst and then you regain more energy then you ever had before!

Anonymous said...

Hi, just checking you're ok. I've been fasting a bit lately but ate over the weekend :( so fasting again today, it never ends does it ...
take care