Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Books are good for body as well as brain
by Roger Sinasohn Oct 7th 2008 1:00PM


It's important for kids to read in order to become well-rounded, knowledgeable adults and positive members of society. It turns out there's another benefit to reading -- it can lead to weight loss. Scientists at Duke Children's Hospital in North Carolina have found that overweight girls who were given a book that featured an overweight girl reduced their body mass index by one percent in just six months.

The book the girls read, Lake Rescue, promotes a healthy lifestyle, including exercise. A control group that was not given the book actually increased their BMI by half a percent. Even though the loss was small, it represents a significant impact because the expected outcome, sans book, would be for the girls to increase their BMI, as, in fact, the girls in the control group did.

"The idea that a book can positively influence weight loss and decrease BMI is encouraging because it's fairly easy to implement," says Dr. Sarah Armstrong, who specializes in Nutritional Disorders and Obesity at Duke. "And it's a welcome addition to a world where there aren't a lot of alternatives." Whether a healthier lifestyle is a good reason to read or reading is a good way to live a healthier life, I say it's a win-win situation.
....................................................

Roger, I've got some more suggested reading for your girls... these books definitely helped me.
The Best Little Girl In The World by Steven Levenkron
Wasted by Marya Hornbacher
Fasting Girls by Joan Jacobs Brumberg

P.S. The site-counter rolled over 20K yesterday (just 36 days). Woot! Starve on, lovelies.

4 comments:

Isa said...

Hi! I just wanted to thank you because you inspire me to be thinner and to just hang in there. Today, I didn't eat anything except a slice of apple and a diet coke... and oh, yeah, water. So thanks a lot. It's been great geting to know your blog =D
Now, I have to do some serious reading! Haha

- Isa, I'm from Chile

L said...

I love you reading suggestions such that I've already read them! have any other thoughts? I could really dive into a good book.

I did the salt water flush last week - unfortunately it didn't really remove any "sludge" (sorry to be so graphic). Perhaps my intestines are just really clean :)

Stay skinny!
- L

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! You're evil and I love it!

Starve on lovely!

-Rae

jesscuh said...

hey gorgeous. I LOVE LOVE LOVVVVE wasted by marya hornbacher, i should def. look at those other two books you suggested. I like to think of you as Ana, the dream blog I wish I could be writing.. Reading how well you do is better thinspo than any boney picture. Anyways, I totally binged last night so I'm going on a 5 day minimum fast. much love
-Jesscuh.