Thursday, October 25, 2007

Secret to Brittny Gastineau's success? Try anorexia

Posted Oct 22nd 2007 4:58PM by Anne Metz on Styledash.com

There's a zen koan that says if you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.

Now I don't know anything about meeting Buddha, but I can say that if you meet a model on the road who says she loves to eat, don't believe her -- especially if she's ex-reality TV-star Brittny Gastineau.

The raven-haired Gastineau recently told Jay Leno's "Ross the Intern" that she stayed thin through anorexia.

Was she kidding? Well, if you trace Gastineau's incredible weight loss over the past year (I don't -- I honestly didn't know who she was until thirty minutes ago), you'd probably conclude that she was speaking the truth. But still, the confession seems awfully weird.

One thing is certain, admitting to an eating disorder is not a good way to jump start a modeling career, which her friends say is the motivation behind her shrinking frame. Even though most agents and designers would be chomping at the bit to get a 5'11 girl who weighs just 105 pounds, I doubt anyone is willing to touch her now that she's publicly admitted she's an anorexic. The fashion industry can't continue to exist as it is without putting forth the illusion that models its healthy and naturally thin. The fact is once a model says she's sick, the gig's up.
.....................................................................

I'm sorry, but this is just stupidity at its best. I'm happy for her, glad that she's lost such huge amounts of weight, that she's had the willpower to stay with it for so long. But why the HELL would you flush it all away by openly admitting on NATIONAL television that you did it with anorexia???

Let this be a lesson, girls. KEEP YOUR ANONYMITY AT ALL COSTS. Keep the secret. That's exactly WHY we have these blogs and facebook profiles and none of us use our real name. It's only truly WORKING if you can still smile and say, "I'm just blessed with a fast metabolism."

Ugh.

7 comments:

Daisy said...

Hi, I found your blog a few days ago and I'm really enjoying reading it! It's one of the first places I've found where someone writes straightfoward diary entries like this, and it's been very inspirational and supportive :) Good luck with your fast, and hope you blog again soon!

Anonymous said...

I sometimes feel annoyed/angered that this is what society and high-profile industries demand of us. It's a lot of work, stress, unfair standards and it can embitter a person. I sort of wonder if that's how she was feeling when she carelessly confessed...

smartie said...

I love your blog! I mean, I totally know what you mean. why tell everyone you having an eating disorder? with all of the hype about super skinny models, there is very little chance that the fashion industry will hire her. like you said, they want to maintain the illusion that models are just naturally hyper thin.

Blondie said...

Favourite blog entry :)

Anonymous said...

Totally true! No one wants a fat girl, but no one wants to deal with an anorexic either! You just cant win without a little secrecy!

Cass said...

it's so hard to keep it a secret when everyone already thinks you are. I had to start seeing a psychologist for depression, and they asked me if I was, and I tried so hard to not tell them, but they just know!

Joey said...

I agree with everthing you said... but guys can be anerexic too. Nobody ever thinks we can be anorexic, makes it way easyier to keep our secret but i'm tired of never getting credit.